Nobel Prizes and Laureates 1984
1. Nobel Laureates - Carlo Rubbia and Simon van der Meer
Field - Physics
Contribution - Decisive contributions to the large project, which led to the discovery
of the field particles W and Z, communicators of weak interaction.
2. Nobel Laureates - Robert Bruce Merrifield
Field - Chemistry
Contribution - Development of methodology for chemical synthesis on a solid matrix.
3. Nobel Laureates - Niels K. Jerne, Georges J.F. Kohler and Cesar Milstein
Field - Physiology or Medicine
Contribution - Theories concerning the specificity in development and control of the immune system
and the discovery of the principle for production of monoclonal antibodies.
4. Nobel Laureates - Jaroslav Seifert
Field - Literature
Contribution - Poetry which endowed with freshness, sensuality and rich inventiveness provides a
liberating image of the indomitable spirit and versatility of man.
5. Nobel Laureates - Desmond Mpilo Tutu
Field - Peace
6. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize - Richard Stone
Field - Economic Sciences
Contribution - having made fundamental contributions to the development of systems of national accounts
and hence greatly improved the basis for empirical economic analysis.