Nobel Prizes and Laureates 1979
1. Nobel Laureates - Sheldon Lee Glashow, Abdus Salam and Steven Weinberg
Field - Physics
Contribution - Contributions to the theory of the unified weak and electromagnetic interaction between
elementary particles, including, inter alia, the prediction of the weak neutral current.
2. Nobel Laureates - Herbert C. Brown and Georg Wittig
Field - Chemistry
Contribution - Development of the use of boron-and phosphorus-containing compounds,
respectively, into important reagents in organic synthesis.
3. Nobel Laureates - Allan M. Cormack and Godfrey N. Hounsfield
Field - Physiology or Medicine
Contribution - Development of computer assisted tomography
4. Nobel Laureates - Odysseus Elytis
Field - Literature
Contribution - Poetry, which, against the background of Greek tradition, depicts with sensuous strength and intellectual clear-sightedness modern mans struggle for freedom and creativeness.
5. Nobel Laureates - Mother Teresa
Field - Peace
6. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize - Theodore W. Schultz and Sir Arthur Lewis
Field - Economic Sciences
Contribution - pioneering research into economic development research with
particular consideration of the problems of developing countries.