Nobel Prizes and Laureates 1964
1. Nobel Laureates - Charles Hard Townes, Nicolay Gennadiyevich Basov and Aleksandr Mikhailovich Prokhorov
Field - Physics
Contribution - Fundamental work in the field of quantum electronics, which has led to the construction of
oscillators and amplifiers based on the maser-laser principle.
2. Nobel Laureates - Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin
Field - Chemistry
Contribution - Determinations by X-ray techniques of the structures of important biochemical substances.
3. Nobel Laureates - Konrad Bloch and Feodor Lynen
Field - Physiology or Medicine
Contribution - Discoveries concerning the mechanism and regulation of the cholesterol and fatty acid metabolism.
4. Nobel Laureates - Jean-Paul Sartre
Field - Literature
Contribution - Work which, rich in ideas and filled with the spirit of freedom and the quest for truth, has exerted a far-reaching influence on our age.
5. Nobel Laureates - Martin Luther King Jr.
Field - Peace