Nobel Prizes and Laureates 1990
1. Nobel Laureates - Jerome I. Friedman, Henry W. Kendall and Richard E. Taylor.
Field - Physics
Contribution - pioneering investigations concerning deep inelastic scattering of electrons on protons and bound neutrons,
which have been of essential importance for the development of the quark model in particle physics
2. Nobel Laureates - Elias James Corey
Field - Chemistry
Contribution - Development of the theory and methodology of organic synthesis.
3. Nobel Laureates - Joseph E. Murray and E. Donnall Thomas
Field - Physiology or Medicine
Contribution - Discoveries concerning organ and cell transplantation in the treatment of human disease.
4. Nobel Laureates - Octavio Paz
Field - Literature
Contribution - for impassioned writing with wide horizons, characterized by sensuous intelligence and humanistic integrity.
5. Nobel Laureates - Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev
Field - Peace
Contribution - Leading role in the peace process which today characterizes important parts of the international community.
6. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize - Harry M. Markowitz, Merton H. Miller and William F. Sharpe
Field - Economic Sciences
Contribution - Pioneering work in the theory of financial economics.