Nobel Prizes and Laureates 1991
1. Nobel Laureates - Pierre-Gilles de Gennes
Field - Physics
Contribution - discovering that methods developed for studying order phenomena in
simple systems can be generalized to more complex forms of matter, in particular to liquid crystals and polymers.
2. Nobel Laureates - Richard R. Ernst
Field - Chemistry
Contribution - Contributions to the development of the methodology of high resolution nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.
3. Nobel Laureates - Erwin Neher and Bert Sakmann
Field - Physiology or Medicine
Contribution - Discoveries concerning the function of single ion channels in cells.
4. Nobel Laureates - Nadine Gordimer
Field - Literature
Contribution - Who through her magnificent epic writing has - in the words of Alfred Nobel been of very great benefit to humanity.
5. Nobel Laureates - Aung San Suu Kyi
Field - Peace
Contribution - Non-violent struggle for democracy and human rights.
6. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize - Ronald H. Coase
Field - Economic Sciences
Contribution - Discovery and clarification of the significance of transaction costs and
property rights for the institutional structure and functioning of the economy.