Nobel Prizes and Laureates 1996
1. Nobel Laureates - David M. Lee, Douglas D. Osheroff and Robert C. Richardson.
Field - Physics
Contribution - for their discovery of superfluidity in helium - 3
2. Nobel Laureates - Robert F. Curl Jr., Sir Harold W. Kroto and Richard E. Smalley
Field - Chemistry
Contribution - Discovery of fullerenes.
3. Nobel Laureates - Peter C. Doherty and Rolf M. Zinkernagel
Field - Physiology or Medicine
Contribution - Discoveries concerning the specificity of the cell mediated immune defence.
4. Nobel Laureates - Wislawa Szymborska
Field - Literature
Contribution - for poetry that with ironic precision allows the historical and biological
context to come to light in fragments of human reality
5. Nobel Laureates - Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo and Jose Ramos-Horta.
Field - Peace
Contribution - For their work towards a just and peaceful solution to the conflict in East Timor.
6. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize - James A. Mirrlees and William Vickrey
Field - Economic Sciences
Contribution - for their fundamental contributions to the economic theory of incentives under asymmetric information.