Nobel Prizes and Laureates 2004
1. Nobel Laureates - David J. Gross, H. David Politzer and Frank Wilczek
Field - Physics
Contribution - discovery of asymptotic freedom in the theory of the strong interaction.
2. Nobel Laureates - Aaron Ciechanover, Avram Hershko and Irwin Rose
Field - Chemistry
Contribution - discovery of ubiquitin-mediated protein degradation.
3. Nobel Laureates - Richard Axel and Linda B. Buck
Field - Physiology or Medicine
Contribution - Discoveries of odorant receptors and the organization of the olfactory system.
4. Nobel Laureates - Elfriede Jelinek
Field - Literature
Contribution - Musical flow of voices and counter-voices in novels and plays that with extraordinary linguistic zeal reveal the absurdity of societys cliches and their subjugating power.
5. Nobel Laureates - Wangari Muta Maathai
Field - Peace
Contribution - to sustainable development, democracy and peace.
6. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize - Finn E. Kydland and Edward C. Prescott
Field - Economic Sciences
Contribution - Contributions to dynamic macroeconomics: the time consistency of economic policy and
the driving forces behind business cycles.