Nobel Prizes and Laureates 1988
1. Nobel Laureates - Leon M. Lederman, Melvin Schwartz and Jack Steinberger
Field - Physics
Contribution - Neutrino beam method and the demonstration of the doublet structure of the leptons through the discovery of the muon neutrino.
2. Nobel Laureates - Johann Deisenhofer, Robert Huber and Hartmut Michel
Field - Chemistry
Contribution - Determination of the three-dimensional structure of a photosynthetic reaction centre.
3. Nobel Laureates - Sir James W. Black, Gertrude B. Elion and George H. Hitchings.
Field - Physiology or Medicine
Contribution - Discoveries of important principles for drug treatment.
4. Nobel Laureates - Naguib Mahfouz
Field - Literature
Contribution - Who, through works rich in nuance - now clear-sightedly realistic, now evocatively ambiguous - has formed an Arabian narrative art that applies to all mankind
5. Nobel Laureates - United Nations Peacekeeping Forces
Field - Peace
6. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize - Maurice Allais
Field - Economic Sciences
Contribution - Pioneering contributions to the theory of markets and efficient utilization of resources.